Friday, May 27, 2011

Too big, too small, too tall, too short......Pramada Menon


Too big, too small, too tall, too short......


Too big, too small, too tall, too short......

by Pramada Menon on Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 18:15
Too big, too small, too tall, too short, too dark, too fair – maybe that does not happen. Maybe no one can be too fair! But what is this obsession with the body? No one is comfortable with what they have, they all want something that no one really has and in the end there is dire sorrow all around.

I am fat and it took me years to acknowledge that. I grew up in a home where there was no conversation around body size and I always knew I was beautiful. So when I did get out of the house and then had smart alecks on the street comment about my body or my weight, I was gob smacked!  For heaven’s sake could they not see that lissome body trapped inside that outer shell and could they not see the intelligence flow out of me. How crass to expect more beauty?

Isn’t it strange how a set of rules set by a few impact many? Do we ever think about it? Do we ever wonder why there is this unholy obsession about the perfect body?  I watch people today and am amazed at the self-control they seem to exhibit. All of them are clear that they do not want to become fat, they cite health reasons. No one ever seems to say that they are uncomfortable because peer pressure renders them unhappy, romance accords them the invisibility cloak and families strive to remind them everyday of their self indulgent self which has allowed them to become fat. So fat has now become the new mantra to stay away from.

What is it about our bodies that cause us so much angst? Is it because the set of rules that we have to abide by are set for us and we feel that we have to play along or else we lose out? Surely that cannot be the reason. There are so many ways in which we challenge many set ideologies because we do not ascribe to them and yet anything to do with the body causes us sleepless nights and we try to make some things more and other things less. Do we ever connect this with violence? Can we see the links between what we do to ourselves and our supposed aversion to violence? Why do we always assume that violence is done to us by someone else and not that we do it to ourselves quite easily and then have a million explanations to justify why we do not eat, why we use Fair and Lovely face cream, why we spend hours in the gym under duress, and why we focus incessantly on how much one has gained or lost in kilos and not in a metaphysical sense?

What is the point of saying my body is mine when actually we mean that my body is partially owned by me and the rest is a joint ownership between my parents; the gym; the people whom I desire and do not desire me; the media, society and the countless faceless people who feel that they can advise me and tell me what I should look like.

I look the same every day. Tall, big, dark woman. For others, what I am varies. Some days it’s a beautiful woman, at other times it is a fat woman. For some I am a man, for others my gender confuses them.  Some people see me and think I am hot and others who feel that I should instantly go in for a 90 kg weight loss program.

I am all of this and I am not.

May 16, 2011
 ·  · Share
  • You, Tarshi DelhiShilpa Phadke and 55 others like this.
    • Uditi Sen Thanks for writing this Pramada. Its encouraging me to write my own confessions around my relationship with my body
      17 May at 18:24 · 
    • Uttara Shidore may i share this pramada ? its beautiful ..
      17 May at 18:25 · 
    • Sambhav Kaaliya Sharma 
      This is so true, Pramada. I remember when I was little I was so much obsessed with applying “fair and lovely” cream on my face. I was the only child in the family who has dark skin. I come from a joint family and everyone in my family is to...See more
      17 May at 18:32 ·  ·  1 person
    • Vishal Dubey awesome...
      17 May at 18:41 · 
    • Rituparna Borah Pramada Menon Thanks for sharing this! I had to deal with so many issues regarding the body- my stammering, my dark complexion, my height, my body weight now.. i was fed up of the comments from frens and family... so many! really l thank you again for writing this..
      17 May at 18:44 ·  ·  3 people
    • Pramada Menon thanks everybody and uttara go ahead and share
      17 May at 18:50 ·  ·  2 people
    • Indira Saxena Obsession of this sort remains only till you know the personality. One's self confidence supercedes..
      17 May at 19:01 ·  ·  4 people
    • Shruti Batra 
      ya its absolutely true. my family is damn obsessed with color of one's skin. i have many friends who have dark skin n once i made one of them meet my mother.u 9 wat my mother said??she said what kinda friends u make shruti as in they have c...See more
      17 May at 19:24 · 
    • Kannamma Raman 
      I can imagine. Being a darkish girl in a family of pretty fair person I can easily understand... But what is interesting is that such prejudices do not go away with increased education (or literacy) as I still remember a friend of my daught...See more
      17 May at 19:52 · 
    • Ekta Hattangady ‎"Ekta, you were so HOT! What happened to you?" This is what a girl who went to school with me said to me at a party last year. I hadn't seen her in 15 years and this is what she said to me. I am struggling with my weight again. It sucks. I was up all night yesterday. I love my body. It's the only one I've got!
      17 May at 20:25 ·  ·  1 person
    • Sanjukta Basu reading this reminded me of our session on disability n sexuality at SRI. I and meena seshu had shared our tryst wid our fat bodies and how all my childhood i was made to feel being fat was a disability
      17 May at 20:50 ·  ·  1 person
    • Sanjukta Basu And i have worked with feminist organizations where days after days i have sadly witnessed these feminists obsess about diet weight loss hair fall and whatever have u. i was ashamed.
      17 May at 20:59 · 
    • Neelima Prasanna Aryan 
      ‎"No one ever seems to say that they are uncomfortable because peer pressure renders them unhappy, romance accords them the invisibility cloak and families strive to remind them everyday of their self indulgent self which has allowed them t...See more
      17 May at 21:09 ·  ·  4 people
    • Navin Vasudev Excellent Pramada!!! and yes would like to share it too..hugs
      17 May at 22:34 · 
    • Subasri Krishnan Thank you for writing this.
      17 May at 23:21 · 
    • Subasri Krishnan sharing this...
      17 May at 23:40 · 
    • Shilpa Phadke Fabulous piece!!!
      18 May at 01:32 · 
    • Meenu Vadera Awsome sharing Pramada!! Inspires self reflection!!
      18 May at 11:44 · 
    • Pooja Das Sarkar 
      This is beautiful, am sharing this! You say what so many of us feel/think/experience everyday. The prejudice against fat people is so ubiquitous and the the worst part is that everybody thinks they have the right to tell you how you should ...See more
      18 May at 12:16 · 
    • Rintu Thomas Awesome read Parmada!
      18 May at 12:21 · 
    • Vinita Sahasranaman Very good piece Pramada. I especially like the way it ends :D
      18 May at 12:33 · 
    • Shalini Singh very nice....rhea also read..
      18 May at 13:33 · 
    • Laila Tyabji 
      Prams, always thought you fabulously charismatic - your personality and warmth knocks one out at 60 paces! As for me, must confess that as the awkward, ugly duckling daughter of 2 great looking parents, I yearned to be beautiful. One of the...See more
      18 May at 13:39 · 
    • Rukmini Datta Exactly how I felt: "So when I did get out of the house and then had smart alecks on the street comment about my body or my weight, I was gob smacked! For heaven’s sake could they not see that lissome body trapped inside that outer shell and could they not see the intelligence flow out of me. How crass to expect more beauty?"
      18 May at 14:11 · 
    • Tessy Saha may I share?
      18 May at 15:37 · 
    • Anjali Monteiro Thanks Pramada for this lovely piece!
      18 May at 16:05 · 
    • Pramada Menon thank you all and please feel free to post..
      18 May at 17:44 ·  ·  1 person
    • Nisha Gupta Awesome piece Pramada. I am sharing this too...
      18 May at 18:17 · 
    • Theyie Keditsu 
      Thanks for sharing this Pramada. By Naga standards, I'm huge and fat too. & loving food the way I do, I have no option but to militantly work out so I can 'maintain' that ideal body image ingrained in my mind. I've been like this for so lon...See more
      18 May at 18:28 · 
    • Renuka Motihar great piece pramada. very thought provoking.
      18 May at 19:40 · 
    • Kavita Das Gupta wonderful... am sharing this pramada : )
      18 May at 20:42 · 
    • Kiki Chatterjee v sensitive love this piece of writing
      18 May at 20:48 · 
    • Pia Chanda its time people got real a guidance to a proper perspective......not a media packaged reality
      18 May at 20:58 · 
    • Indira Saxena would you like to read Hindustan Times May 19, Page 15 Col. 1st on Beauty of Virtues. Thanks
      2 seconds ago · Like
      19 May at 23:15 · 
    • Maria Mustika If I translate this beautiful writing and share to my colleague in Indonesia would that be okay for you? I want my friends to be inspire like I do
      23 May at 11:08 · 
    • Pramada Menon Maria Mustika please go ahead and translate, thank you
      23 May at 15:42 ·  ·  1 person
    • Maria Mustika thank you Pramada Menon
      24 May at 18:41 · 

No comments:

Post a Comment